Hannah Grace

Hannah Grace
Hannah Grace

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Hardest Day/Evening Yet: Day 36 1/11/11

Hannah Grace Kwant

My Precious Hannah!

Hardest Day/Evening Yet

We spent the morning doing our morning school routine.  In the afternoon, Sam ahd an appointment and Hannah Grace got to go.  It was so neat to bring Hannah along to show her off!  After we were done there I took Hannah and Sam to Wal-Mart, I need a few groceries. 

The rest of the day was mostly uneventful except for the fact that it was trying to snow all day.  Awana's was canceled because of the fear of snow.  (Thank goodness I was canceled because the rest of the evening would have been way more complicated.

Around 8:30,  Rick was just getting in bed and had the rest of the kids in bed except for Martin and Sam (they were watching TV),  Hannah had this stopping breathing episode so bad I ran in my bedroom and had Rick get out of bed to help me.  He grabbed Hannah and we started to try to remember CPR for babies!  I asked him do you want me to call 911? He said yes,  so I sat on the phone call 911 (it seemed like forever). I told Rick  the advice the 911 lady told me.  I was crying on the phone to the 911 lady and shaking.  My baby was in trouble and could die!  Anyway God heard our prayers and Rick got her breathing again.  She had foam around her mouth and she coughed a little.  Just as she was breathing better the firemen and ambulance came to the house. Martin and Sam were shocked to have these men show up.  I had not had time to tell them because I was stuck on the phone with the 911 lady.  The girls all were laying in bed when the red lights alerted them to what was up.  I think there was like 10  men that showed up to help Hannah breath.  We recognized a couple of the men because they are our neighbors!  We were blessed to know they came to help our baby girl.  Our neighbor, Jeff, told me later that after he heard the address over his pager he knew it was the Kwants and he reaced here as fast as he could!  It was a blessing to me to know how much he cared!

Anyway Rick carried Hannah from our bedroom to the living room to the Fireman who were there.  (Rick was in his under ware).  The men looked Hannah over and suggested they take her to the hospital to have her checked over.  We agreed to this and I would ride with Hannah in the ambulance.  I grabbed Hannah's car seat but forgot her feeding stuff.  Which ended up to be a bad thing!

I rode in the ambulance next to the driver.  I was  amazed that this driver did not know how to get to the hospital!  He told me he just moved to the area!  I was surprised they had him drive!  Oh well Hannah was breathing!  It was snowing alot on the way to the hospital so the driver had to drive slow.  While we were driving the EMT in the back of the ambulance asked me if Hannah normally did not move much, I told him yes that is just the way Hannah was made. I did not know until we got to the hospital that Rick left shortly after the ambulance left to met us at the hospital.  The snow was really coming down so Rick took our 4-wheel drive pickup. 

When we got the the emergency room.  We got Hannah out of the car seat and laid her on the isolette bed.  She lay there content.  Once in a while she would cry but not much.  We waited a bit for the Doctor. We told her all about Hannah and her Trisomy 18.  (Apnea breathing episodes can be normal for Trisomy babies). Anyway the doctor wanted to do a lung Xray and we could think about a blood draw for an infection.  We consented to the X-ray but skipped the blood draw.  We knew she did not have an infection she was acting normal and she had no fever.  We also did not want to poke her for no reason.  The X-ray went well.  They needed like to do two X-rays on each lung.  Some the the positions were difficult for Hannah to get into because of the way her limbs move.  Anyway when the X-rays came back clear, the docotr told us we could go home.  I was ready to go home because Hannah needing feeding and I needed to pump.  Hannah's feeding ended up 2 hours late!

The doctors told us should come up with a plan if Hannah stops breathing again.  Do we want to try to saver her?  Do we want to restart the heart? Do we want to put a breathing tube in?  All the questions we could never answer as we felt like Hannah's life is in God's hands not ours or the doctors. 

We got home and the kids all wanted to know how Hannah was doing.  The older kids could not sleep until they knew Hannah would be ok.  They were never so happy to see us come home with Hannah.   Right when we got home I got Hannah's milk ready and I sat down with Hannah and fed her and pumped milk for her and praising God we got more time with Hannah!

We know life could be short for Hannah but we want to be blessed with as much time as the Lord will bless us with! 

Thank you to Shylan for your visit!  It so much blessed us to have you visit and thanks for the meal.  I was so please to show Hannah off to you!

Psalms 118:23&24
23This is the LORD's doing; it is marvellous in our eyes.
 24This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

With Love, Sandi Kwant (Hannah's mommy)

No comments:

Post a Comment