Hannah Grace

Hannah Grace
Hannah Grace

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Genetic Test Comes Back Day 7 (12/13/10)

Changing Hannah's diaper was a challenge:  In the hospital especially with all the cords, tubes and monitors,
Then there was her hips:  Her hips did not move well out so we were always so careful so we would not hurt her. 

I always jumped at the chance to change her diaper.  Whatever I can do for my baby, I wanted to do!

Hannah Grace in Beppe's arms and then in her dad's arms.

Sam loving on Hannah. 

Hannah looks so peaceful!  I love this picture!


Hannah's weight: 4lbs 1oz!
Hannah's nurse:  Am: Sandra  Pm: Kim

The Genetic Test
Hannah only spent 30 hours under the Billi lights.  The doctors told us originally that she would be under the lights for 3 or 4 days.  Another answer to prayer!  Thank you Lord!  We can hold Hannah all day now!  The kids were so excited to find out that Hannah no longer needed to be under the lights.  They again spent the afternoon coming into her room holding Hannah, playing in the waiting room, and Beppe found a play room for the younger kids to play in (Terri Lynn and Nathan enjoyed the new toys)!

Hannah is still a pooping machine:  another 5 more poopy diapers. She is just getting rid of the bilirubin from her body!

Hannah for the first time today, pulled on her NG tube with her hook finger.  It was so cute but scary.  Because I got to thinking about when I get home I really don't want her to pull that tube out because then I will have to put it in all by myself! Rick and I decided that we'd make sure there was alot of tape to keep that tube in place!

We got the final word today on Hannah's genetic test.  The Neonatologist found us in the waiting room playing with the kids (at the time Pake and Beppe were visiting with Hannah).  He talked with us in the hallway.  He very matter of factly told us Hannah's genetic test showed Hannah had full Trisomy 18. Which meant Hannah had 3 chromosomes on her 18th chromosome rather than 2.  The Doctor then again very matter of factly without emotion or compassion told us we needed to come up with a plan if Hannah ever codes or stops breathing.  We could just not do anything, we could only try to save for 5 minutes, we could chose not to give her extra Oxygen, we could give her everything as they would do for a normal child, we could actually have chosen not to even fed her.  Basically Hannah's life was in our hands.  The doctor (we did not like him really) then left us to decide what to do and walked away. 
Well, we cried together Rick and I, hugged and cried some more.  We love Hannah so much and I kills us inside to figure out how we will one day have to let her go.  Rick and I could never answer the Doctors questions.  (and we never did).  We have such a strong and high view of life that we felt God had Hannah is His Hands and it really was not our job to decide to end her life. 
After Rick and I cried and talked together.  We felt we needed to tell the kids and the grandparents. Rick told his mom and I don't know how that conversation went.  I did tell Martin since he is the oldest child I felt like he really needed to know.  I could tell he kinda knew already that Hannah had Trisomy 18.  It was so neat for me as his mom to see the unconditional love for Hannah that he showed to her.   Sam was the same way.  Sam loved Hannah so much.  I told my dad and my dad really didn't understand exactly what Trisomy 18 was. So I told myself I need to explain this better to him later. I just couldn't at the time because I'd end up crying too much!  I sat with my mom in the new play room while Nathan and Terri Lynn played.  I told my mom and we cried and hugged together.  Mom just kept saying Hannah is doing so good, she's in God's hands,  it will be OK.  You are a great mom.  I'm so thankful I got to talk to my mom.  She was so good for me.   It was really hard on me tonight as the kids left to go home with my mom and dad.  I really felt like I needed my family together.  (During this time with Hannah our family was drawn so close and our family is still very close). 
Later, after the kids left my friend Dalee and Rick's friend Ian came to visit.  Dalee brought dinner again.  Thank you so much appreciated!   All four of us sat and talked for a very long time.  We sat taking turns holding Hannah.  In my heart, having  friends come to see us was a sign from God that our friends and family will be there to support us through this Hannah journey. My view is that our friends and family are God's Hands and Feet at work.  God knew I needed a friend that evening so He sent Dalee down to see us.  God knew Rick needed a friend so He sent Ian down to see us too!  God is good and it is amazing to see His hand in our lives everyday. 

Thank you to Dalee, Nadalee, and Ian for your visit!

Proverbs 18:24
A man who has friends must himself be friendly,
      But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother..       
Love you Hannah Forever, Sandra Kwant (Hannah's mommy)         

1 comment:

  1. I am amazed that you had a choice to feed a human that needed food! Your own baby! And she would've fussed for milk like any other baby! What would anyone else want to do!? That must've been so hard to hear and handle the cold attitude you got when you heard the testing news. So glad there was family and friends there.

    ReplyDelete